Shirley will be a facilitator for Arizona State University’s “Boardroom Basics for Health Professionals” Program.
– ASU SkySong in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Health professionals have a knowledge base that is valuable to nonprofit and corporate boards. The path to obtaining a board seat is often long and arduous. It requires that health professionals learn the “rules of the game” and develop a new set of skills. “Board Room Basics for Health Professionals” is designed to share the basics of boardroom service and help the participants to develop a game plan for successfully serving on not-for-profit and corporate boards of directors. Participants in this program would develop a better understanding of their value to boards and acquire skills to help them make meaningful contributions to community, professional association and corporate boards.
This course will help you learn the rules of board membership so you can begin to develop a game plan for your success. At the conclusion of the program, you will be able to:
- Explore the purpose of boards and how they function.
- Describe the differences between governance and operations.
- Describe the fiduciary and regulatory duties of board members.
- Assess your personal abilities and preparation to serve on corporate boards.
- Apply concepts presented to begin development of an action plan for seeking a corporate board seat.
This course is designed for health professionals interested in serving on boards with the following experience:
- Organizational leadership position.
- Experience typically obtained through at least 5 years of leadership activities.
- Previous service on not-for-profit boards desirable.
- Rhonda Anderson, RN, MPA,DNSC(h), FAAN, FACHE – President, RMA Consulting of Arizona
- Katherine Cecala, JD, MBA – President, Junior Achievement of Arizona
- Deborah Helitzer, ScD – Dean and Professor, ASU College of Health Solutions
- Amy Hillman, PhD, MBA – Dean, ASU W. P. Carey School of Business
- Lu Miller, MBA – Partner, Morgan Consulting Resources
- Teri Pipe, PhD, RN – Dean and Professor, ASU College of Nursing and Health Innovation and ASU Chief Well-Being Officer
- Fran Roberts, PhD, RN, FAAN – President, Fran Roberts Group
- Carol Stevens, PhD, RN – Professor, ASU College of Nursing and Health Innovation
- Shirley Weis, BSN, MM, DrSc(hc) – Professor of Practice, ASU College of Nursing and Health Innovation and W. P. Carey School of Business
- Lamont Yoder, MSN, MBA – CEO, Banner Gateway Medical Center and Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center